Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Colin's Underwater Adventure

With a break in the rain and warm temps, we decided to go to Terri's for a swim. It was cold getting in but then it was great!

Ian was jumping in the shallow end with his tube on. Of course, Colin wanted to do like Brother and quickly followed suit.







We'd zoom around playing tugboat and speedboat. Then he'd jump in again.







Happy-happy!







After a few hundred jumps into Daddy's arms, he decided he wanted to do it all by himself.

"My do, Daddy! My do!"

I'm thinking No way, pal. "Daddy's gotta catch you, Buddy."

"NOOOO! MOVE, DA-DDY!"





Terri and Steph were saying that he might better get a taste of what the water's all about. I'm all for a learning experience and I could see that he had no fear whatsoever of jumping in... At one point he was running along the side of the pool, ready to launch into the deep end. It's important to learn respect for deep water!

I was still skeptical. He wanted me well away from the edge so he could go in "By my-SELF!"

Well, I'll be ready to catch him right as he goes in. Still skeptical, but here goes!




Remember that trick where you put your hand below someone else's hand holding a dollar bill and then they let it go? They tell you that if you catch it you can have it. You never can because your reaction time is too long to grasp it. Well, let's just say that (even though I saw him jumping) it felt kind of like that! I was just too far away to catch him before he hit bottom. Yowza.

My second lunge and grab scooped him up and got him out in a hurry. I think he was a different kid when he surfaced. As for me, I was scanning the area for the automatic defibrillator!






He never cried but I can tell ya, he was quietly contemplating the wet blue stuff in the pool for the rest of our time there.





They say if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger. And wiser, I suppose. As Terri and Steph pointed out, it might be a lifesaving lesson for Colin.

Who knows? Maybe someday Colin will get his merit badge or medal in swimming. We'll look at these pictures and remember the day he got wise to the water!


Thanks to Terri for the awesome photos!

8 comments:

grandma O. said...

Wow, little man, we are ever so glad Daddy WAS there to catch you! Please do not ever jump in again by yourself, okay? We want you to love the water, but safely. We love you, Mr. Fishbottom!

Grandma O. said...

Hi Ian, You look mighty happy in your tube in the water. Good planning. Glad you like to swim, too, Mr. Tubie. Keep it with you for great fun.

Sheryl Jean said...

Pictures "published" at 3:57 a.m.? Couldn't sleep? Holy mackeral, Wakeman! Love ya!

Oppa said...

Grandma o. said never jump in by yourself again. I said "Even when he's 25?" Lifes lessons are hard sometimes, but it's better to learn them under controlled circumstances. When I fell in when I was 13 (and couldn"t swim) my daddy wasn't there to pull me out. Fortunately someone else was but not before i swallowed a lot of water. I was scairt and afraid.

Anonymous said...

You scared me....I love the water too, Ian and Colin but it took me a long time to learn how to swim....be careful and have fun!! I sent you a smilebox with your pics. Grand Auntie M.

DeWitt said...

Aaah, the wonder of the water! Had a few interesting encounters myself...amazing I don't have nightmares about those too! And yet I tackled the whitewater at 21. Face your fears,young Jedi,face your fears.

Michelle and Chris said...

Awesome pictures - and great narration of the day's events! We had a blast with you guys on Saturday - hope to see you again when you return from your summer adventure!

Unknown said...

OMG- Awesome fun and a great learning lesson!!!! :)